Friday, September 10, 2010

Lions on Grounds - a semi farce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w

Watch that first. Lions should be allowed on Grounds. Well no, probably not, but now that you have some context as to my poorly contrived joke, what I really wanted to bring up is self-defense on grounds, most notably concealed carry. I was curious as to what people's thoughts and feelings are on the issue. There used to be a Students for Concealed Carry on Grounds, although the group is now defunct. If you don't really know much about Concealed Carry on Campus check out Students for Concealed Carry's site: http://www.concealedcampus.org/ . Also, another thing to think about is University of Virginia is a Public school and thus should be bound by the Second Amendment - like it is the First Amendment. So while Private Schools could, rightly in my opinion, ban guns on grounds, the argument that UVA can is somewhat more tenuous.

1 comment:

invisiblehand said...

I agree, private universities should have the right to ban firearms, as should any private property holder, such as stores. One may make the argument that because it is voluntary to attend UVA, we should be allowed to prohibit concealed carry. I, however, agree that because this is a publicly funded institution, we should be able to concealed carry, and for that matter, carry without a permit. I don't think Jefferson or any of the other founders would have liked the idea that we need a piece of paper telling us we can own a gun.

Also, in light of some recent events here, and the massacre a few years ago at Tech, I think this is an issue that should be brought up. Statistically, where there is concealed carry, or even open carry, crime rates drop dramatically. I know if open/concealed carry were legal, I'd be the first in line to go buy a gun. I think it's ridiculous that we can't, although considering the fact that colleges are some of the most liberal places around, I guess it doesn't surprise me.